Food Ideas For Summer Deck Parties
Summer deck parties are a great way to spend time with friends and family this year. Hosting a party outside allows you to follow social distancing guidelines while still throwing a party to remember. If you want people to remember your summer deck party this year, it starts with having delicious food and memorable activities. In case your party is not already planned out SFW Construction offers some of our favorite backyard recipes and games.
Appetizer – Caprese Salad
- 6 tomatoes
- 1 pound of fresh mozzarella cheese
- 10-15 basil leaves
- 3 tablespoons of olive oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Slice the tomatoes and mozzarella cheese
- Arrange the display of tomatoes and cheese on a large platter
- Top with basil leaves leaves
- Add olive oil drizzle
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper
Refrigerate before serving.
Main Course – Spicy Pasta Salad, Smoked Gouda, Tomatoes, and Basil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 12 ounces of penne pasta
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- ¼ cup whole milk
- ¼ cup vinegar
- 1 ½ teaspoon of adobo sauce from a can of chipotles
- 1 10-ounce package of grape tomatoes, or heirloom tomatoes (cut in half)
- ½ pound smoked gouda cheese (cut into cubes)
- 24 fresh basil leaves (sliced)
- Start by boiling a large pot of salted water. Add the pasta and cook as the label directs. Drain and rinse pasta under cold water, till it is no longer hot.
- Make the dressing by mixing mayo, milk, vinegar, ½ teaspoon salt, black pepper, and the adobo sauce in a bowl.
- In the large serving bowl, add the pasta and combine the dressing, tomatoes, and gouda cheese. Top with basil
Refrigerate before serving.
Dessert – Peach Cobbler
- 2 15-ounce cans sliced peaches in syrup
- 1 stick of butter
- 1 cup self-rising flour
- 1 cup of sugar
- 1 cup of milk
- Homemade Whipped Cream
- 2 cups whipping cream, chilled in the refrigerator
- 4 tablespoons of sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit
- Drain 1 can of peaches, save the peach syrup from the canned peaches
- Place the butter in a 9 x 12-inch baking dish
- Heat the butter on the stove or the oven until it is melted
- In a bowl mix the flour and sugar. Stir in the milk and the reserved syrup. Pour the batter over the melted butter in the baking dish. Arrange pieces over the batter. Bake for 1 hour or until the crust is thick and golden brown.
Homemade Whipped Cream:
- Chill a large metal mixing bowl and the beater attachment in the freezer for about 20 minutes.
- Pour the chilled cream and sugar into the cold mixing bowl and beat for about 5 minutes
- Tip: Don’t overbeat otherwise it will be sweetened butter
Game Ideas With Social Distancing In Mind
Looking for games for your Summer Deck Party this year that work well with social distancing requirements? We have 3 great options from our favorite backyard recipes and games list for you to enjoy while spending time with family and friends.
A mix of frisbee, disk golf, and cornhole the game Kanjam will test your patience and aiming skills. The game works like this, in teams of 2 people, you take turns throwing or deflecting the disc into your opponent’s goal. The way to beat your opponent is by reaching 21 points or by throwing the disc through a cutout slot in the goal. Kan Jam is available for purchase on Kanjam, Amazon, or at Dicks Sporting Goods.
Spikeball is an interactive game that you can compare to a mix of volleyball and foursquare. Spikeball consists of 2 teams, 2 people each, with a net that reaches ankle level. Players take turns hitting the ball on the net, so it bounces up for the opponent to hit. The other team gets a single point only when their opponent misses, and the ball touches the ground, or if they fail to hit the ball back to their opponent in 3 tries per turn. The first team to 21 points wins. You can purchase Spikeball on Spikeball, Amazon, Dick’s Sporting Goods and Target.
A popular, traditional game played at BBQs, tailgates, and Summer deck parties. This outdoor game is entertaining and played year-round. Traditionally, the way people play cornhole is the first team to 21 points wins. The way you get points is by tossing the bag through the hole, 3 points or by the bag hitting and remaining on the board, 1 point.
Safe Summer Activities During Covid-19
While we hope that one of our favorite backyard recipes or games adds to the enjoyment of your party, we care more about everyone being safe and having a good time. This party should be an opportunity for everyone to unwind, relax, and enjoy. So, having good food and getting your guests active in a game can provide entertainment for everyone. If you decide to go with 1 of our favorite backyard games as a recommendation for entertainment, make sure to have hand sanitizer available for participants and have everyone playing or watching wear masks. If none of those ideas sound safe or fun to you, an alternate suggestion is a game that does not need any equipment, charades.