How Dry Rot Invades And Corrodes Home
Although it’s called ‘dry rot,’ this nasty problem is caused by a wood fungus that thrives on wood that is moist or wet, which means it is very prevalent in Lake Oswego and throughout Oregon. Beginning as a microscopic spore, the fungus feeds on the aspect of healthy wood that makes it strong and durable, eventually causing it to crack and crumble and fall apart – which means it will no longer do its job in your home very well.
The wood fungus that results in dry rot isn’t content to eat just one portion of wood; like a contagion, it continues to spread throughout any moist wood it can feed upon. This common Northwest problem requires professional dry rot removal treatment to rid it completely so it won’t reoccur. With over a decade of dry rot removal and structural home restoration, SFW Construction is well-suited to resolve any dry rot problems in your home.
While there are a few tell-tale signs of dry rot, it’s always best to consult a professional Lake Oswego dry rot specialist to obtain a comprehensive understanding of what’s going on in your home. SFW Construction provides free phone consultations and cost-effective in-home dry rot inspections. If we identify dry rot in your home, we’ll devise a workable plan to remove it and restore your home to health.
The following are common symptoms of dry rot:
- A mildew-like or musty odor around wooden areas.
- Floors or wood surfaces that are darker than usual or discolored.
- Flooring with areas that become concave, “give” or squeak when walked upon.
- Wood surfaces or structures are shrinking or cracked.
- Wood surfaces or structure are softer than normal or seem to be loose.
- Cobweb, cotton or mushroom-like growths appear on wood surfaces.