Once dry rot has taken hold in the wood structures or surfaces of your home it tends to consume the wood in an unbridled fashion. If left untreated, dry rot will gradually deteriorate whatever wood structure it has inhabited. So if you suspect you have dry rot it’s a good idea to consult a professional and have your home inspected. The sooner you address the problem the less damage the dry rot will inflict, and the easier and more cost-effective it will be for you to have fixed.
Any significant or unusual change in the condition of the wood structure or surfaces in your home may indicate dry rot, especially changes in appearance, functionality and odor. At advanced stages dry rot is easier to detect, but in earlier phases as well as when it is in out-of-view areas, it is harder to identify.
The following is a general list of dry rot signs & symptoms:
- Wood surfaces or structures looks as if they are shrinking or cracked.
- Floor has soft spots that become concave or squeak when walked on.
- Wood surfaces or structure are softer than normal or seem to be loose.
- Floors or wood surfaces are darker than usual or discolored.
- Cobweb, cotton or mushroom-like growths appear on wood surfaces.
- There is a musty, mildew odor around areas that have wood.
Addressing wood rot in your Salem home is a process best conducted by trained professionals with dry rot removal expertise. SFW Construction has years of Salem dry rot removal and repair service. As a full scale contractor we are able to address any and all issues associated with dry rot in your home, such as repairing or replacing damaged siding, restoring damaged wood structures and fixing the roof. Dry rot is a pernicious and progressive condition that deteriorates the wood in your home. Call SFW Construction today for a free consultation on how to resolve this common home problem!